Monday, July 21, 2008

A Very Monday Post

Notes from the Nightstand

Well, darlings, I’ve finished reading both New Moon and Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer. That makes three 600+ page novels in one week…which is really just proof that I need to get out more. Of course I put off mountains of other things in order to free up so much ‘reading time’ but I really don’t care. Dishes and garbage and laundry can wait when there is angst driven teenaged vampire love on the line.

So, long winded opinion cut very short, I have enjoyed the series. And I would even go so far as to recommend it to others…provided that they would appreciate this kind of literature. The final installment of the ‘saga’ is set for release at midnight on the 1st of August…accompanied by a special ‘release party’ at the local bookstore. And yes, I have a copy on reserve, and yes, I’ll be attending the release party and taking LibraryDiva with me, and yes, I’ll sneak in my camera and take pictures of the crowd dressed up like their favorite characters from the books, and NO, before you ask let me reassure that I am going dressed as myself.

P.S. They are bringing all this angst to the big screen this Christmas. Here’s a production still featuring the main characters. And here’s a little shout out to all my nerdy HP fan friends…Cedric Diggory didn’t die, apparently he just turned into Edward Cullen.

Diva-stan Update

The cleaning crew arrived this week and began the enormous/disgusting job of decontaminated the former apartment of our creepy neighbors. I wish them good luck.

Our resident ‘temporary’ fuzzy punk and I had an unfortunate encounter in my bedroom on Friday night. While I was in the shower shorty apparently decided that my ridiculously expensive Original Mattress Factory Orthopedic Luxury Firm mattress would make a fantastic litter box. Much swearing and gnashing of teeth ensued. Little man was ‘corrected’ and has been avoiding my room like the plague ever since. This doesn’t distress me in the slightest. Thing One and Thing Two seem to appreciate having an officially ‘kitten free zone’ in the apartment as well as illustrated by the following…

Saturday Afternoon


Saturday Evening

Sunday Afternoon

Speaking of home, here’s another story for you. Several weeks ago LibraryDiva and I were watching the Saturday night ‘cheese’ (it had something to do with a factory full of possessed dolls and the ancient Aztecs) on the Sci-Fi channel when the phone rang. Now, normally this wouldn’t be that big of a deal…but it was almost 3:00 AM at the time. A quick glance at the caller ID showed a local government number.

Me: Hello?
Caller: Is this McBurgerandFries?
Me: No, I’m sorry, this is a private residence.
Caller: Are you sure this isn’t McBurgerandFries?
Me: Yes, very sure. This is my home.
Caller: Oh! Sorry.

LibraryDiva and I were still wondering at this when the phone rang again.

Me: Hello?
Caller: Is this McBurgerandFries?
Me: *quick glance at caller ID* No, this is the same residence you called a few minutes ago.
Caller: Oh, sorry.

Now, I had all but forgotten about this little late night exchange with what a quick flip though the phone book revealed to be our local police on their ‘non-emergency’ number until my phone rang this morning at 6:20 AM.

Me: *very groggy and newly awakened* Hello?
Caller: Is this McBurgerandFries?
Me: No, this is a private residence.
Caller: Oh.

The frustration of this incident has been all but overlooked on my part owning largely to the fact that it is out local law enforcement who is calling in error. Were it simply a drunken idiot then my wrath would have been swift and mighty…but it’s the cops…which means I’m all kinds of polite and friendly because that’s the way I was raised. When I got to work this morning I fished my handy-dandy local phone directory out of the drawer and looked up the numbers for all the local McBurgerandFries. I spotted the problem immediately; the last four digits of our numbers can be very easily transposed.

At some point during this weekend I think that I was supposed to spend some time with another friend of mine…whom we’ll call NeedyAnimeDiva. I have a vague memory of her calling me at some point in the last few weeks and mentioning that we should go see the new Batman movie together. Despite much memory searching assisted by helpful prompts from LibraryDiva I was unable to scrape together any agreed upon details of our exchange. I felt sure that I hadn’t actually agreed to anything but had in truth been volunteered…because that is the NeedyAnimeDiva way. She called on Sunday afternoon and I ignored the phone (hey, I was up to my eyeballs in angsty teenage fiction and four loads of laundry). And while I know that this was in truth very badly done of me, if you knew NeedyAnimeDiva the way I do, you would have hit the ‘reject’ button too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What the crap is up with the cops calling you looking for Mcfastfood? Shesh, it's not like Mcfastfood delivers even!

So you are all about the teen vampire angst? I'm still looking forward to the potential Jean-Claude on the big screen! I totally think I could be Anita....except my hair is straight, I'm flat-chested, and my thighs are way too big for a Firestar holster.

~BalletDiva