Wednesday, July 2, 2008

An Experiment in Igloos

For the past several weeks now the company computer nerd has been complaining about the temperature in his ‘lair’ - the server/copier/storage room. Apparently the arrival of summer has so strained the AC units for the building that they were actually freezing up and turning themselves off at random points during the day. Because of this the temperature in his ‘lair’ would climb toward 80 degrees in the afternoon.

The powers that be decided that the best way to solve this problem (explained to them by the CCN as ‘if those servers get too hot they’ll blow up!!!!’) was to install an independent AC unit for the room. It is a foreign made wall mounted unit and …well, hell…I’ll just take a picture of the thing. *Digs out cell phone*
Okay, now this little wall unit has taken the ‘lair’ from about 80 degrees to about 50 degrees. This makes the CCN very happy.

There is just one problem. I’m freezing! I mean seriously freezing! And everyone who has wandered through has made the same comment: some variation of “Gee, it sure is cold up here.” YOU THINK???? What was your first clue there, Sherlock? The icicles hanging off the walls? The fact that receptionist is wearing long sleeves and a coat? The fact that there is a Yeti building a snowman behind the printer?

So today the…umm…*looking for a word that isn’t too rude*…dude who sold us the unit shows up the check on it. I’m sitting behind the desk wearing a long sleeved shirt and a navy blue hoodie…and I’ve got the sleeves pulled over my hands to keep my fingers warm. And I swear this was our actual conversation.

“Is that a jacket ya got on there?”
“Yes.”
“Ya cold?”
“…yes.”

4 comments:

Kassia525 said...

You take a pic of the ugly AC unit, but you leave out a pic of the Yeti???

Kristine the HistoryDiva said...

Well, I asked him if I could take his picture...heck, I even offered him all the colored paperclips to decorate his snowman with...but he said no.

Actually he grunted and threatened to fling poo...so I'm pretty sure that was a 'No.'

Anonymous said...

Bonus points on whipping out the Yeti reference... well played.

*tosses you a Bic lighter* Here, now go warm up. ;)

Anonymous said...

LOL, I think the Yeti was the best part of this entry.

~BalletDiva