Friday, July 11, 2008

Notes from the Nightstand

Okay, first and foremost, get your mind out of the gutter. (Robert and Carl…I’m talking about you.)

Now that you’ve recovered from your school-girl-like fit of giggling I’ll explain, ‘Notes from the Nightstand’ is going to be a semi-regular bit here at Blissfully Unaware, in much the same vein as ‘Random Picture Thursday.’ Swiping this bit of inspired creativity from LibraryDiva, I’ll be using these posts to tell you a little bit about the books I’m currently reading…and since I tend to pile these books on my nightstand, you’ll see that it wasn’t much of a mental stretch to come up with a title.

Shall we begin?

I’m about 200 pages into Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. I was going to avoid this series like the plague but since there seems to be an over abundant supply of copies at my local book retailer (I tripped over them several times on my last visit…no really, I literally tripped over a stack of these books) I thought I might as well pick up the first one and see what all the fuss is about. I’m not really a fan of the whole ‘vampire fiction’ genre, as can be attested by both my Diva pals, but I have read several very positive reviews of this particular title. Now, I wouldn’t really recommend this book to most of my friends…what with the teenaged/vampire/angst/love story vibe at the heart of this plot, but over all it really isn’t bad. The central character is well developed and things haven’t gotten overly unbelievable yet.

I’m about 150 pages into Sex with the Queen by Eleanor Herman, an entertaining look at 900 years of royal risqué business. This work is the companion book to Herman’s Sex with Kings, which I read a few years ago. This book makes my inner history major happy while reinforcing the lesson that while ‘it’s good to be the king’ it could be very dangerous to be the queen (or her lover).

I confess that I am only about 25 pages into World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. The reason? This book is scaring the begeezus out of me! Though fictional, this book is very detailed and incredibly realistic…and creepy, don’t forget creepy. Since I only read in the evening hours during the week this book has been shuffled to the bottom of the pile where it will have to wait for a very sunny Saturday morning for me to pick it up again. Brooks is an amazing story teller.

Gunpowder Plot by Carola Dunn is about a murder mystery set against a Guy Fawkes Day celebration in the late 1920s. Fireworks mask the sound of gun fire and Daisy Dalrymple (don’t you just love that name?) has to figure out ‘who done it.’ It isn’t Agatha…but it isn’t bad. I’m about 50 pages in.

I’m about 50 pages into The Sleeping Doll by Jeffery Deaver. So far we've had the back story, been introduced to our intrepid female investigator, interviewed the bad guy and blown up a courthouse. Not too shabby for three chapters. Deaver is a little meticulous and this one is moving kind of slow. And I’m sure it doesn’t help that I keep putting it down because I get distracted by other things!

I’m about 50 pages into Betrayal: Star Wars Legacy of the Force; Book One by Aaron Allston. This is the first of a nine book series which tracks the fall of Jacen Solo as he turns to the ‘dark side’ of the Force. So far there has been a Jedi battle and a very tense dinner party. I’m hopeful that the story will pick up some steam soon.

No comments: