Friday, September 19, 2008

Snap, Crackle, Pop!

Two years ago (in November) I left my job with a local bank. Considering the fact that I had detested everything about that job from day one, the fact that I stayed there for nine months should really earn me a medal of valor or something. ANYWAY! Two years ago (in November) I was placed in my current position by the temp agency I work through.

And my first task at this new job was to fold and stuff and seal the 3000 Christmas cards being sent out by the company. Now, I didn’t mind the busy work but I was astonished that the task had been left to so late a date in the year. That year there was a mad scramble to get the cards addressed, stamped and out the door by Christmas…and it took a team of eight people (not including myself) several WEEKS to complete the task.

Last year I was once again given the task of preparing the company’s Christmas cards…this time only 2000 cards due to the large number of cards returned the previous year. Determined to get a head start on things I (and it was just me) had all the cards folded, stuffed, and sealed by Halloween…all of which took me about a week (I am nothing if not efficient.) But the guy who was supposed to generate the address labels dawdled around until after Thanksgiving so we were running late again.

So yesterday, since I had nothing to do, I wandered the office looking for work. And I happened to overhear a mention of the fact that the Christmas cards had arrived last week. So I figured that I might as well get started.




Oh and P.S.: This year’s design is ‘dancing elves’??? Yeah…because apparently nothing says “We’re an internationally known, highly efficient, trustworthy, worthwhile company” better than dancing elves.

But mine is not to question why…mine is to fold the cards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your folding Christmas cards with dancing elves on them... in September...

...how do you not have the overwhelming and overpowering urge to get into grad school and start teaching as soon as is humanly possibly?

/rough day
//rougher week

Kristine the HistoryDiva said...

Two things, Robert dear.

First, the desire for grad school is there…the money, alas, is not.

Second: YOU’RE means ‘you are’….YOUR means ‘belongs to you’

*coughcoughgrammarwasneverhisstrongsuitcough*