Thursday, September 4, 2008

Notes from the Nightstand

Since I’m sure that all of you are just dying to know, here’s what I’m reading right now!


The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks: *Sigh* If you happen to be among the four of five people on the planet who haven’t either seen the movie or read this novel then I’ll do my best to not spoil things for you. Noah and Allie (played here by Ryan Gosling (who is seriously smokin' hot in the movie) and Rachel McAdams) met as teenagers and fell in love but time, distance, WWII, and an interfering mother kept them apart for fourteen years. Three weeks before her wedding to another man Allie goes in search of Noah, wanting to see her first love one more time and because this is a romantic novel…well, I’m sure you can guess what happens next. And their story happens to be tied up with the story of two elderly people who live in an assisted living center and yeah…*tears*. An excellent read.


Jane Austen for Dummies: I can already hear Robert and Carl laughing…but whatever. Now, I have read all of Jane’s novels, seen most of their movie adaptations, and am able to hold relatively well formed, intelligent discussions about any topic pertaining to the above. However, there are questions that need answers and that is where this book comes in handy.


Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie: My grandmother…yes, that one, is a great fan of mysteries. She has read so many of them my grandfather jokes that she could poison him and no one would ever figure out it was her. My father is also a great fan of the mystery novel so I guess I come by my adoration for Agatha honestly enough.

Anyway! It is the start of the Summer Term at Meadowbank School for Girls, and there is no reason for Miss Bulstrode, the popular but aging Headmistress, to believe that the challenges facing her will be more than the occasional irate or inebriated parent. She scarcely listens when Mrs. Upjohn, a parent, recognizes someone that she sees from her wartime days in the intelligence service. But there is a killer at the school who does not wait long to strike …


Archeron by Sherrilyn Kenyon: First, understand that this is actually book twelve (12) in the series. Second, I purchased this book because it literally fell off the shelf and landed on my head. No, really. I had a headache the entire next day. Third, I spent most of yesterday (yes, while I was at work) researching this book online. There is a LOT of background information I needed to gather to help me understand things. Fourth, I still don’t really understand everything but LibraryDiva is a fan of this series and promised to help me. Fifth, so far this book has been a very interesting read. The story is very detailed and tangled and I’m really enjoying Kenyon’s writing style. And sixth and finally, this plot is far too complicated for a summary!


The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke: Yes, it’s a ‘kids’ book. Shut up! So is Harry Potter and I’m a huge fan of that series. MOVING ON! This book first came out in 2000 in Germany and it was actually brought to the attention of an American publisher by a bilingual German girl who wanted to know why she couldn’t find her favorite book published in English. So, Cornelia Funke became an internationally renowned author because an eleven year old fan wrote a letter to an editor!

Anyway! This is the story of two orphaned boys who run away from home after the death of their mother. In an attempt to keep from getting separated by their retched relatives the boys, ages twelve and five, hitchhike from their home in Hamburg, Germany to Venice, Italy, where they fall into the company of a young cat burglar who calls himself ‘the Thief Lord.’ Adventure ensues. This book is actually a lot more entertaining than I’ve managed to make it sound and LibraryDiva already has dibs on my copy once I’m finished.

No comments: