Friday, September 12, 2008

We Remember


This is the gigantic flag here on property. I took this picture when I arrived in the still dim light of early morning.

It sits right in front of the main office and I frequently use it as a landmark when giving people directions.

It takes a team of five men to bring it to the ground on Friday afternoons, fold it, and store it away until Monday morning.

There is a gentleman who works here, a retired Marine, who makes sure that this flag is always displayed properly and with the greatest respect possible.

It flew at half mast from before dawn yesterday until the arrival of first shift this morning.

I got up from my desk and wandered out into the atrium to stare at it several times yesterday, watching as it danced on the breeze, just brushing the tops of the enormous trucks which roll in and out of our front gates all day.

No comments: