Wednesday, August 20, 2008

When a Stupid Calls

I work for a manufacturing company (have I mentioned this before???). This company has one plant, located in my hometown, but the product is used all over the world. In fact, you will find this product on every continent except for Africa because apparently there just isn’t a market for what we manufacture.

When a unit is being delivered within North America the easiest method of delivery is to simply transport the unit ‘over the road.’ It is not at all uncommon for a delivery driver who has never picked up from company headquarters to call in and ask for directions …which I provide.

Here’s an example:

Me: Good morning, (insert company name here).

Caller: Yes, I’m coming to your location for a pick up and I need some directions.

Me: Where are you coming from?

Caller: Jacksonville, Florida.

Me: *Google Mapping* Okay…you’ll take US Highway 10 West until it connects with I-75. You’ll want to take I-75 North…

Caller: *Interrupting* North? No. I’m coming to your headquarters for a pickup.

Me: Yes sir. You’ll want to take I-75 North…

Caller: *Interrupting AGAIN* I’m coming to your head quarters in Winchestertonfieldsville.

Me: Yes sir. So…I-75 North…

Caller: *Interrupting again AGAIN!* Winchestertonfieldsville, Florida. *said with a little ‘tsk’ tongue click and a tone like he’s explaining things to a two year old*

Me: Sir, we’re located in Winchestertonfieldsville, GEORGIA.

*several long moments of silence on the line*

Caller: *Much friendlier tone* So, I take I-75 North...

No comments: