Thursday, April 3, 2008

Thoughts on a Thursday

It occurred to me this morning, after eight blissfully uninterrupted hours of sleep (WA-HOO!), that I have yet to produce a reasonably rambling post for this week. While I could have simply inserted a link that would take you to my friend Robert’s blog where you could read a post that would leave you scared for life, I tend to think of myself as having more compassion for my readers than that. (And if you really want to read it you can click on the link to The Skewed View on the right…but consider yourself warned.) So instead I offer you this collection of random brain droppings.


Friday night LibraryDiva and I took in a show at the Fabulous FOX. We went to see Avenue Q, a fantastically funny Broadway show staring puppets. Yes, puppets. No really, it was good…you should see it. Don’t argue with me!! For more information on the show click on the banner I stuck on the right hand side of the blog. We had a great time and bought fantastically overpriced souvenir t-shirts.

Oh, and during the course of the show we noticed that the people sitting immediately to our right and immediately to our left were friends. So during intermission we offered to change seats so that they could sit together for the second half of the show. We became heroes and got a better view for the rest of the evening.

Lately I’ve been lacking in the sleep department. It seems no matter how hard I try to get into bed by 10:30 it always winds up being closer to midnight before I’m finally snuggled under the covers. I don’t know why this keeps happening! It doesn’t help that I still have to get up when that alarm goes off at 6:20 am and it is just making me so tired that I can barely function during the day. My job (paper shuffler) isn’t really physically hard but by the end of the work day I’m mentally exhausted. I’m starting to understand why my parents were never up for anything during the work week when I was a kid…if they were half as tired as I usually am I’m amazed they had the strength left to drive home let alone tolerate an antsy child underfoot. What I’m trying to say is…I miss naps.

My friend R (name shortened for her protection) whom I’ll affectionately refer to as BalletDiva from now on, sent me a fantastically fun email the other day. After reading all the entries in the ‘What would be on your CD if you were stranded on a deserted island’ game, she came up with her own list of songs. But BalletDiva, in her unique BalletDiva way, changed the game just a little. Her list was a selection of ‘songs to have sex to.’ Ah, BalletDiva this is why we love you.

My friend Karen (the H.O.P.S.F.) called me yesterday on her way home from work to inform me that she had seen a chicken wandering down the center of a major roadway here in our town. The sight amused her and she thought she would share. See…I told you she was weird. (But we love her anyway!). She has also posted a video of her new hamster on YouTube and you can check it out right here.

This season of “Dancing with the Stars” (shut up, Robert and Carl) has been fairly entertaining so far though I don’t think that Steve Guttenberg should have been voted off so quickly. He (unlike several others) was actually a lot of fun to watch and seemed to really be enjoying the experience. Plus he had really improved from the week before… but alas, the voting public didn’t agree.

Last week the CD player in my car decided it would eat a CD. I ejected one, put in another and suddenly the entire system turned itself off and started flashing “THEFTLOCK ACTIVATED.” I don’t know why. After several frustrating minutes the system seemed to ‘unlock’ and the radio started working again. However, my CD is still being held captive by the player and it has taken to taunting me with a ‘NO DISC’ message every time I push the eject button. The most frustrating part of this entire ordeal is that the CD in question is disc two of a brand new audio book. *Sigh*

I stopped by the dealer and asked about the situation. Once I can arrange to leave the car with them they will hook it up to their computer and attempt to reprogram the system via satellite. However, if that doesn’t work they will have to remove the radio and send it to the factory in Charlotte. I have a sinking feeling that I’ll have to order another copy of the audio book…

Let’s see…OH! Apparently I accomplished way more than I realized yesterday at work…because it is only 10:45 am and I’m out of things to do for the day…which is both good and bad. Good because hey, free time. Bad because it means that we are really feeling the crunch of the recession around here. But at least I’m not in production… because that could mean getting laid off. So I wandered through the accounting department looking for a way to be helpful and surprise, surprise, I was given some more paper to shuffle! Wa-hoo.

I think I’ll watch a movie tonight…I wonder what I’m in the mood for…


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Young Frankenstein perhaps? Oh how I love that film. Thanks for the nod in the blog, my email is even better if you know me, but I'm sure the random bystander will still get a kick out of it.

~BalletDiva

LibraryDiva said...

I think you may be in the mood for some "Enchanted"...

Anonymous said...

"Lately I’ve been lacking in the sleep department. It seems no matter how hard I try to get into bed by 10:30 it always winds up being closer to midnight before I’m finally snuggled under the covers. I don’t know why this keeps happening! It doesn’t help that I still have to get up when that alarm goes off at 6:20 am and it is just making me so tired that I can barely function during the day. My job (paper shuffler) isn’t really physically hard but by the end of the work day I’m mentally exhausted. I’m starting to understand why my parents were never up for anything during the work week when I was a kid…if they were half as tired as I usually am I’m amazed they had the strength left to drive home let alone tolerate an antsy child underfoot. What I’m trying to say is…I miss naps."

THIS
I've been having the exact same problem - only I'm passing out closer to one than midnight.