Monday, April 14, 2008

HistoryDiva and the Flat Tire

In the decade or so that I have been driving I have had two flat tires. The first was several years ago and was caused when a large red pickup truck decided that he didn’t just want to drive in his lane but he wanted half of mine as well. My poor car…never even saw that GIGANTIC pot hole coming. Luckily I was within a quarter mile of my parent’s home so I simply limped into their driveway and waited for my uncle (The World’s Greatest Uncle, btw…and I’m not bias or anything…you can ask around, he really is the World’s Greatest Uncle) to come and put the spare on for me.

This time, however, I was not so lucky. It was just before 1:00 PM, I was in heavy traffic on a major roadway, and I was in the left lane. Not the best place for a flat tire. Luckily there was a break in the traffic just when I really needed it and I was able to pull onto the shoulder of the road. Once the nearest traffic light changed and the road cleared I was able to safely get out of the car and go take a look. Sure enough, the driver’s side rear tire was puddled onto the asphalt. After a few choice swear words (it’s after Lent and I’m allowed again) I called my mother and then called my aunt and uncle’s house to see if anyone was home. (Cause really, why pay for a tow truck when you have male relatives?) Alas, I was out of luck.

So I called my cousin ‘Bob.’ (His name isn’t actually ‘Bob’ and I’m not using it to protect his identity or anything. ‘Bob’ is his nickname. No really, it is. Of all the nicknames he could have picked (and believe me he has had more than a few entertaining ones just within the family) he decided on ‘Bob.’) And he was on his lunch break but agreed to come and help me out. So about thirty minutes later ‘Bob’ and I are standing on the side of a major roadway putting the spare tire on my car as semi trailers and oversized trucks rip past us at amazing speed. I’ll be completely honest with you about this one; I was really terrified for the both of us.

But hey, at least my taxes are done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww History Diva! *comforts* Two more weeks and I'll be home to play! Okay maybe that doesn't make you happy, but I am excited by it. : )

~BalletDiva