Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Whoop-de-freaking-do-da

Today, as I’m sure you know my astute reader, is Administrative Professional’s Day. And, as the title of this post should have given away, it isn’t really that big of a deal. At least not where I work.

At some point in the middle of my very hectic afternoon a representative from the staffing agency I’m contracted through showed up to introduce herself and hand over her business card. I managed to muster up the strength to great her amicably but then she dropped the giant killer…she asked “how is your day?” Oh honey, where do I start?

Let’s see. Thing One and Thing Two decided that I needed to be awakened at 5:11 AM this morning, a full hour and nine minutes before I would have normally rolled out of bed. It seems that the change to daylight savings time has really confused their internal clocks and they are unable to successfully recognize the difference between 5:00 AM and 6:00 AM.

After managing to make it into work in one piece I was contently shuffling my way through the daily paperwork when the CEO stopped by my desk to inform me that we will be visited tomorrow by the wife of the owner. Now, having held down several jobs and being a relatively well educated person (what with the two college degrees and all) I’m well aware of what kind of behavior is expected when someone ‘important’ shows up. And while I did my best to be humble and compliant I couldn’t help but be incredibly irritated and insulted when I was spoken to like a child and had the whole ‘you need to make sure that she doesn’t stand around waiting because she’s important’ thing explained at least two dozen times in the space of two minutes. Yeah, I know…I heard you the first time…GEEZ!!!

There was an incident yesterday involving a radio that I won’t go into (because it is unbelievably stupid and petty and would make a coworker look very bad even if it would be good for a laugh) so I’ve been having to dance around someone’s toes all day.

A customer called and asked to have the identification number on an item that they purchased changed. Now normally this isn’t too much of an issue and just involves a few minutes of simple data entry. However, the file for this item had already been processed through the system and closed out. This makes this request a hundred or so times more difficult than normal.

I’ve had precious snowflakes calling all day long whom I’ve had to placate and cater to.

I had a large stack of mail dropped onto the paper work I was attempting to finish and had to sort though it before I could get back to work on what I was doing.

I slashed my hand open on a file. Check out that band-aid…oh, how I suffer!


And while all of this is going on that nice girl from the agency shows up and asks me how my day is going. So I lied and said that everything was fine.

And then I ruthlessly hung up on someone trying to hock another 'free' magazine subscription...which made me feel a little bit better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's right! Fight back! Just hang up!!

Kristine the HistoryDiva said...

Here’s what happened last night regarding this blog post.

LibraryDiva said she hated it because it sounds like I’m whining. To which I replied ‘isn’t that the point of having a blog?’ But she seemed unsatisfied with that answer.

However, I would like to point out that since LibraryDiva didn’t actually READ THE POST her comments are invalid.