Monday, January 20, 2014

A Weekend Away - Part 1

In December my favorite aunt and uncle decided that they needed another week of vacation...so they booked themselves into a resort in the tiny little mountain town of Helen, Georgia. 

And then...they invited me to use up the last of my vacations days by spending a lovely long weekend with them. 

And since I'm all about getting away...I totally took them up on it.  Because duh, free vacation.

So I headed up to the resort after work on Friday night (in the INSANE driving rain), because this one was so close to home it was practically a 'stay-cation' but again, free weekend away so no complaints! 

Saturday was beautiful and clear and mild.  My uncle and I wandered all over the resort, and spent some quality time looking at the river, which was running high and fast because of all the rain the night before.  We ambled back to our 'chalet' to pick up my aunt and we went - brace yourself for some SERIOUS fun now - grocery shopping. 

Mid afternoon my cousin, TiaDiva, materialized for an afternoon of wandering, shopping, and eating funnel cake.  So as my aunt and uncle headed home for the night (they had tickets to a production of the Nutcracker and didn't want to miss church the next morning) TiaDiva and I headed into downtown Helen. 

We wandered and shopped, hitting our favorite places (i.e. Hansel and Gretel Candy Kitchen), found a 'fabulous' new Christmas decoration that I knew we just had to have, and stopped in at a cute little coffee shop.  TiaDiva had a hot cocoa, and I had a spiced pumpkin cider which was divine. 


And then TiaDiva spilled a cup of water all over the table...and me.

*le sigh*

We then went in search of funnel cake, a perennial favorite with TiaDiva.  Having found one we plopped down for some people watching while we stuffed our faces with empty powered sugar coated calories. 

Helen was impressively busy for a winter Saturday.

Having gotten her fill of funnel cake and chocolate coated potato chips, TiaDiva headed home for the evening, leaving me all by my lonesome in the mountains.

Taking advantage of quite solitude, I found a very pleasant jazz/Christmas music channel on the television, build a fire in the fireplace, and curled up on the couch with a book.

I made fire!!
It was a little slice of heaven, right there in the mountains of north Georgia.

- HistoryDiva

No comments: