Monday, May 19, 2008

HistoryDiva's "Vacation": Day Two

We spent last night in West Virginia, and the hotel had no internet access. I love West Virginia. It is a beautiful state full of towering mountains, broad green valleys, and astronomically high unemployment rates. But it’s pretty…it’s very pretty.

Unfortunately for us, West Virginia looked like this yesterday.

This is what a traffic jam on the top of a mountain looks like… and we were stuck in four of them.

So after a lot of driving, a lot of rain, and a lot of waiting in traffic we finally made it to Pennsylvania.

We had time to kill before we could check into the hotel so, armed with a Starbucks venti Carmel Macchiato; we went to see the grandparents. When we arrived we found them both in a panic. It seems that my grandmother had dropped her wedding ring while getting ready and they had spent the better part of the last half hour tearing their bedroom apart looking for it. I offered to help and located the wayward band of gold in about two minutes…earning me some “our granddaughter is a super hero” points along the way.

Once check in time rolled around Mom and I headed to the hotel. Apparently the hotel is doing some renovation so things are a mess. And apparently there was only one hotel employee on site (the chick at the desk) who seemed to really have her hands full. We were directed to a room on the third floor and discovered that house keeping hadn’t cleaned it yet. So we went back to the desk and demanded another room, which we were given. This one was clean but had no towels. So Mom goes back to the desk to get some. Apparently when the chick looked up and saw Mom standing there looking unhappy again she got really pale and scared looking. Go Mom!

Once we had settled into the room we headed out to a nearby grocery store to pick up some things for dinner. We went to the grocery store my grandparents had suggested and it only took about thirty seconds for us to decide to go elsewhere. Yeah…I’d never before felt like I was going to die in a drive by while at a grocery store before. The other store felt much safer and had everything we needed.

Tonight’s after dinner entertainment was slides. I’ll repeat that for your benefit…SLIDES. There will be more of the same tomorrow night. It’s gonna be a long week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay I got behind on the blogs so all of my comments will be made here. lol First of all, I like that S.C. rest stop (I'm assuming that's the exit 2 one that we've talked about before). That's the exit I get off for my apartment, so when I see that I know I only have about an hour left of driving, yay!

A traffic jam in WV? I didn't know there were enough people. lol Your pictures are very beautiful, even the road pic.

Sorry your hotel is under construction. It reminded me of the Orbitz commercial. "Honey where are my *jack hammer noise*" "What dear?" "My *jack hammer*" lol You get the idea.

Anyway hope your Monday is awesome and please don't die in a grocery store drive-by. But if you're in danger, hide behind the cabbage. Not sure why, I just got a feeling. ; )

~BalletDiva

Kassia525 said...

Poor HistoryDiva! At least you had beautiful weather for driving on Saturday and you arrived safely on Sunday. Did you bring your cross stitch to keep you occupied during those long hours at the grandparents?

LibraryDiva said...

SLIDES?!? Oh, how fabulous!!!

Anonymous said...

"I’ll repeat that for your benefit…SLIDES. There will be more of the same tomorrow night. It’s gonna be a long week."

Oh... the pain... the pain... my sympathies go out to you, dear grasshopper.