Wednesday, May 21, 2008

HistoryDiva's "Vacation": Day Five

What can I say about today? Well, I could begin by slamming my head against the keyboard several times but I don’t know if it would really help me.

We (mom and I) dragged out of bed around nine and decided to try out a local bakery for breakfast and I just have to say that a bagel fresh out of the oven is the best kind of bagel there is.

Today’s adventure was a trip to the local library. My grandparents are actually listed among the founders of their local borough library and have their names engraved in the flagstone floor of the entryway along with all the other founders. My grandfather had requested the trip to the library so that we could use the satellite feature on Google maps and take a look at …are you ready?...my Uncle Dave’s new house. But hey, it totally made his day so I was more than happy to help him.

In case you haven’t heard, the Pittsburgh Penguins have made it to the Stanley Cup finals. There is something about this town that you have to understand in order for that statement to have the full impact. The people of Pittsburgh love their local sports teams with a passion that is almost mania. EVERYONE loves their home teams. EVERYONE is rooting for the Pens and even the major is attempting to get tickets to the local games (which is causing a scandal because he has requested to use campaign funds to purchase his tickets). Oh, and just so you know…seats for games three and four are running at about $2,180 a seat.

Grandma was in rare form today, offering to pay me for loosing weight. How tempting was the offer you ask? Well, if I get down to a healthy weight she’ll cut me a check for…wait for it…$50.

No slides tonight because Grandpa picked up a VHS tape of a PBS special of a classical music concert in Vienna. Which means that it was classical music instead…the only down side of which is that since my grandfather’s hearing is failing it had to be incredibly loud. I could actually feel my eardrums vibrating.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is some of the funniest writing I've read in ages... and then I realize that you're actually having to deal with all of this... then I just sort of cringe.

Anonymous said...

Well maybe in her strange way, your grandma is trying to express that she cares about you. She's being completely tactless and rude of course, but don't let her get to ya'. : )

~BalletDiva

LibraryDiva said...

Yay, slides!!