Sunday, May 18, 2008

HistoryDiva's "Vacation": Day One

Hello, dear reader, have you missed me? Yeah, I didn’t think so…but a girl can dream. Well, as I mentioned in a previous post I’m away from home this week and off to parts unknown (aka Pittsburgh).

Day One of the ‘Tour of Duty’ started off sunny and warm. My mother finally agreed that we would take my car (which is larger and more powerful) which means that I’m the primary driver for the trip. I really can’t complain about this because not only would no one listen but I also happen to like it better this way.

And now for some pictorial highlights from Day One, most of which were taken from a moving car and some of which were taken by my mother so you’ll have to excuse the picture quality.

Here is the vending pavilion of the South Carolina welcome center. The only items they sell here are bottled beverages, the majority of which are of the carbonated variety…meaning that this is the only place I have EVER been able to effectively use the line “let’s blow this pop stand” and actually get a laugh.

I didn’t take any pictures of North Carolina because it was all mostly green rolling country side and wildflowers…which is pretty but is also sorta boring. Sorry about that, North Carolina.

This picture was taken in Virginia. The Appalachian Mountains had just been a blue haze on the horizon until we got about a third of the way through the state. I like Virginia and West Virginia because the rolling foot hills of the south finally give way to mountains and valleys. Both of these states are beautiful and my pictures in no way do them justice.

This picture was taken by my mother. I had asked her to take a picture of the breathtakingly beautiful valley to our right and instead she took a picture of the road. *Sigh* I love you, mom.

Here are some more Virginia mountains. The really dark patches are actually the shadows cast by the clouds overhead. Again…you really just need to go see this state for yourself to appreciate it.

This is the entrance to the East River Tunnel, which runs under a mountain. At the other end of this tunnel is West Virginia. You know what’s funny about traveling in May? Well, at home May is a summer month. In West Virginia May is a spring month…complete with miserably cold rainy weather.

But more about that tomorrow.

No comments: