Thursday, May 29, 2008

HistoryDiva’s ‘Vacation’: Day Seven…and Day Eight

I won’t mince words about this…I’m glad we’re headed home. I miss my home, my bed, my friends and warm weather. My mother pointed out a rather alarming fact to me this morning…the longer we are in the north the more ‘northern’ my accent becomes and apparently I start talking faster. So yeah, time to get out of here.

The first day of the drive home takes us through West Virginia (which is almost too big for its own good…but pretty, very pretty), Virginia, and into North Carolina. And just so you don’t get a bad impression of West Virginia…here is what it looked like today.

Told you it was pretty…though this picture really doesn’t do it justice.

Around lunch time we got to a little town in West Virginia called Flatwoods. Now, as a child Flatwoods was nothing spectacular…heck, I don’t even think it had a decent place to stop and use the bathroom. But the town has grown over the years and has actually acquired my favorite ‘vacation’ attraction. A Fiesta Ware outlet store.

This year’s new pattern is called ‘Wild Cherries’…


*sigh* I love this stuff.

Anyway! What I like about traveling through V and WV this time of year is that you see these on every median strip and every interstate roadside:

Wildflowers. But not just any wildflowers, because this time of year the only things which have bloomed are the poppies and the daisies. And since daisies are my favorite flower (a little factoid about me which everyone who knows me already knows…except for my mother apparently) this made me enjoy the drive even more. Even when we ran into more of this:

But hey, at least it was at the bottom of a mountain this time.

The second day of the drive home is what my mother refers to as ‘the most boring part of the trip.’ Really? Not “Cemetery Roundup?” Not “Elderly Family Members at an Ohio State Park?” Nope, apparently North and South Carolina are the boring part of the drive home. Sorry about that fellow southern states. Even though I did all of the driving the only thing I can really tell you about that second day was that the big peach water tower outside of Gaffney, SC still makes me giggle because from the right angle it looks like a big butt…

And that there is a new Starbucks open on Exit 90. And it has a drive-thru. Thanks the Gods for Carmel Macchiato.

1 comment:

Kassia525 said...

Wow. It does look like a giant rear end. That's special.