Wednesday, May 21, 2008

HistoryDiva's "Vacation": Day Four

Tuesday (day four) was a rather uneventful day. Unless you count this:

This is Half-Priced Books, a local bookstore chain in Pittsburgh. Think of it as Mecca. I picked up a book there in hard back for $8 which would have cost me $32 to pick up locally in paper back. Take that in for a minute or two and then stop hating me.

To make this even more painful (are you paying attention LibraryDiva and H.O.S.P.F.???) it happens to be next door to a Michael’s.

Once we arrived at the grandparent’s house my mother took my grandfather shopping which means that I was abandoned…and left with my grandmother for company. First there were questions about my hair color. Was it naturally that dark or did I start putting something on it to make it darker? Then there were the comments about my weight. When had I gotten so fat? I wasn’t always this fat. And finally the comments on my clothing…didn’t I realize that shade of blue makes me look really fat? What a wonderful bonding experience that was. I have never been so happy to see my mother.

We rounded out the night with even more slides! The selections this evening were truly entertaining. “The Many Homes of Uncle Dave,” a full color compendium of every home my Uncle (mom’s brother whom I have encountered a total of three times) has EVER owned. And “Cemetery Roundup,” an exhibition of the gravestones of every dead member of the family that we have actually been able to locate. Please, someone send help…I’m losing the will to live.

Here is the only picture I managed to sneak today. This is my grandmother’s organ. It sits in the outside corner of the living room. She was a ‘minister of music’ for her church for over fifty years. And that is something about her that I actually find really neat.

3 comments:

Kassia525 said...

"Take that in for a minute or two and then stop hating me... To make this even more painful... it happens to be next door to a Michael’s."

I would hate you *if* you weren't stuck in the non-vacation from the Blue Lagoon.

Anonymous said...

Again... thank God my relatives are all dead... saves me SO much grief! And it really cuts down on the Christmas shopping! The number of times I've had to experience this kind of inhumane treatment can be counted on one hand, and I thank God everyday for that...

Anonymous said...

Cheap books, I did hate you for a moment. Then I looked at my fat stack of Anita Blake and I smiled. You got a $32 book for $8, but I have Jean-Claude. ; )

~BalletDiva