Monday, October 12, 2015

A Trip to the Sunshine State - Day Three

I was awakened at dawn on our second full day in FL by the sound of an electric toothbrush echoing in the living room.  My uncle, a natural early riser, was already up and about...and brushing his teeth as he wandered. 

Being a light sleeper, I figured I might as well seize the day. 

 
So here's the thing about dawn...it's lovely.

 
January 13, 2014 - 6:14AM
Just...wow.
 
In looking back at these pictures I'm reminded of something that I read recently.
 
"There is a sunrise and a sunset every single day.  And you can choose to be there.  You can put yourself in the way of beauty."
 
I need to remember that...and take more advantage of it.
 
*****
 
Our adventure of the day included a trip to Camp Helen State Park.  From 1945 until 1987 Camp Helen was a company resort for the employees of an Alabama textile mill, known as Avondale Mills.  Now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the historic buildings in the park include a water tower, lodge, rainbow cottages, recreation hall and duplexes. 
 
Being there in the off season we really had the place to ourselves, aside from a few volunteers who were touching up the paint work on a couple of the restored cottages.   

 
It is really a lovely, peaceful place.

 
This is the view from the back porch of the Lodge, looking down toward Lake Powell.
 

Camp Helen is located on a little slip of land between Lake Powell and the Gulf of Mexico.  So vacationers to the Camp, and tourists of today, can enjoy a day on the lake or a day at the gulf depending on which side of the sand dunes they feel like hanging out on! 

 
Oh look, it's one of my many attempts at taking an 'art-y' picture. 


A few of the rainbow colored cottages.
Any Dirty Dancing fans reading this?? 
Yeah...I kept expecting to run into Johnny and Baby around every corner.


If you look hard...way out there beyond the modern hotels...you can just see the Gulf.


My companions decided they would hike out across the dunes and take a look around. 

 
"Hey, you guys!! Turn around!"
And let me zoom in as close as my cellphone camera will go...
 
I decided to go sit inside the Lodge where it was warm. 


But here's a pic of the Gulf-side beach my aunt sent me.
There were storm clouds rolling in so they didn't stay out long.

 
The storm rolled through during our drive back to the hotel and as the skies cleared I snapped this pic from our balcony.  I see now why they call it the Emerald Coast.  WOW! 
 
love and kisses,
- HistoryDiva   
 

No comments: