Monday, October 13, 2008

She’s Apparently Part Mountain Goat

Saturday, in addition to being my birthday, was the second day of my hometown’s annual fall festival. All the roads leading in and out of ‘The Square’ are closed for the weekend and vendors and artisans set up stalls and tents. There is live music and enough food to keep several small countries comfortably overweight for several years.

I love it. I attend every year. And to make things even more interest…this festival is as old as I am. The idea of a ‘harvest festival’ was actually proposed by the president of the bank my mother works for and my mother had actually spent part of that long ago Wednesday afternoon helping to sell pumpkins and squash and baked good from a stand in front of the bank’s main branch before going into labor that night. This means that around the bank I have been lovingly referred to as ‘The Corn Tassel’ baby (the festival’s original name) for most of my life.

Anyway! On Saturday the H.O.P.S.F., the GeorgiaTechDiva (my cousin), and I wandered the square, taking in the sights and sounds and smells of the festival. We saw homemade quilts and home canned foods, hand made toys and oversized gemstone jewelry. We watched a blacksmith demonstration, saw several burning rocks, and tried our best not to laugh at the people who were wandering around with ‘Fair Hair.’ We also stuffed ourselves with funnel cake, snow cones, and cotton candy.

GTDiva pointed out a free standing climbing wall on one side of the square and mentioned that she was determined to have a go. It just so happened that as we wandered past the line was suddenly non-existent…so GTDiva bought her ticket.

The H.O.P.S.F. and I, being almost equal in our level of ‘chicken,’ decided that instead of joining her we would instead chronicle her assent. So while she waited we hopped up onto the nearest curb and pulled out our cameras.

Here you see GTDiva getting felt up by the attendant. KIDDING! He’s helping her into her safety harness.

And advising her to remove her shoes for better grip.

Waiting for her turn.

ONWARD, HEARTY ADVENTURER!!!

She did well for a first attempt at the sport…she made it about six inches off the ground before she fell off the wall. So the attendant offered a hand.

And up she goes!

And here she is about half way up the wall…about three seconds before she fell off again.

But it was a good effort (the H.O.P.S.F. and I clapped) and it seemed to leave her very determined to improve. I advised her to work on strengthening her upper body as it would help her pull herself up the wall. And I have a feeling that if this particular attraction returns next year she will indeed try it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! Techdiva has a lot more courage than I do - or did!