Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The DivaFamily Christmas Tree

It’s pre-lit, eight feet tall and come out blurry this year…

This ornament is the first one my father ever gave to my mother and has been on our family tree every year for as long as I can remember. When I was really young I used to rip it off the tree and chew on it. (I’m ashamed that I just admitted that…)

Oh, and if you can’t tell, it’s two little mice in their little toadstool house.

Only I could turn Christmas into a sheep joke.

My mother made this about twenty years ago or so. She crocheted a dozen different snowflakes and then dipped them into a sugar solution to make them stiffen and pinned them down to a foam board so that they would dry correctly. They hang on our tree every year and still look brand new.

My mother made this too. There are about a half dozen cross stitched ornaments on the tree every year.

This ornament was made by my Aunt J and is one half of a matched set…the other one has the mouse looking at you. Have you picked up on the ‘theme’ of our family tree yet? No? How about another hint…

This is another one of those ornaments that have been around FOREVER. It’s a little girl mouse in a stocking…and yes, there is a matching little boy mouse in a stocking.

And for those of you playing the home game, yes, the ‘theme’ is mice. It’s a long story.

The picture of the cute kid in the creepy bunny ornament frame.

The cute kid is me.

Shut up!

Hail to thee, my alma mater!

This is one of two paper angels that hang on our tree. My mother got them years ago from a co-worker who’s mother makes them out of wall paper scraps.

This little house is part of a set my mother purchased the first Christmas she and my father were married. She painted them herself and over the years I have done everything I can do to preserve them. I love them. I plan on stealing them.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: