Friday, June 27, 2008

A Letter

Dearest, darling, devoted reader,

As I look back over the posts for this week I realized that I’ve left out all the juicy/gory details! Why, this week has just been packed with thrills, chills, spills, action and adventure, sword fights, high speed chases, a princess in disguise, international espionage, intrigue, blackmail, long distance air travel, sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll. Or, you know…not.

So here is a rundown of what has been happening in the life of the HistoryDiva this week. Please keep your hands and arms inside the car at all times and remember, incase of an emergency your seat cushion won’t actually save you.

On Monday I joined the H.O.P.S.F. for her weekly Stitch & Bitch at a coffee shop in the next town down the road. (Vague enough for ya???) She is a member of a local knitting group (yes knitting…it’s a multi billion dollar a year industry so shut up!) and has been asking me to drop by for quite some time now. So I finally caved. Now, I was given basic knitting instructions many years ago by my decidedly left handed mother…and since I’m seriously right handed you could most efficiently sum up that particular piece of maternal teaching as a total and complete flop. However, once I had polished off my sandwich (hey, they meet right after work on Mondays…and I was STARVING) and got down to business I was given some very clear instruction by a very nice gentleman and took to knitting very quickly. I won’t lie and tell you that since Monday I’ve made twelve scarves, eight hats, three pairs of socks and a blanket because that would just be dishonest. I’m about a quarter of the way through a scarf…because I like to do other things with my free time…like sleep.

On Tuesday I decided that it was finally time to get a hair cut. (I can see you yawning and it isn’t very polite…I know for a fact that your mother raised you better than that…now sit up straight.) After more than two months I was looking seriously shaggy but it wasn’t actually bothering me. No, what spurred this hair cut was a memo sent out via inter-office email informing EVERYONE that two very important (read ‘high dollar’) clients would be coming into the office that afternoon. And of course there I sat, looking like I hadn’t brushed my hair in a year. (It is naturally curly and starts to tangle when it gets long...and I hadn’t conditioned in like three days…and OMG, the trauma!) So I headed straight for the salon after work. The only other customers in the place were a young mother and her son who was throwing a temper-tantrum while the poor little stylist tried valiantly to not cut his ears off as he squirmed.

Wednesday is where this week started to take a different turn and LibraryDiva I suggest that you stop reading now…you can pick it up again in a few paragraphs. Now, as I have mentioned before on this blog, I am not a cat person. True, I live with Thing One and Thing Two but they are not mine and we have a mutual understanding when it comes to things like personal space, food funding, and providing entertainment. They stay out of my way and I stay out of theirs. HOWEVER, being somewhat soft hearted (Shut up, Carl) I do feel a certain amount of affection for all of the Creator’s fuzzy creatures. So when I noticed the kitten sitting in the parking lot and looking rather unwell I was understandably…umm…concerned. (And I’m sure the fact that “Without You” from the ‘Rent’ soundtrack was playing over the car radio at the time had something to do with it.) Anyway, being barely on time for work as it was I picked up the cell phone and called LibraryDiva (who is destined to become a ‘Crazy Cat Lady’ and remember that you heard it here first) who would be going into work much later in the morning and has more experience with cats than I.

She sent me a text message later in the day stating that kitten seemed to have a bad upper respiratory infection. I knew this could only mean one thing. The kitten was living in my apartment. Sure enough, when I came home for lunch I discovered an adorable but filthy kitten peering at me from underneath the vanity in LibraryDiva’s bathroom. That evening she brought the kitten to me with a very concerned expression on her face; it seems that the kitten had suffered from some sort of seizure-like fit while she was taking her bath. Listening to the kitten breath I could hear the distinct sound of water in the lungs leading me to guess that the kitten had pneumonia. We finally managed to find the kitten a comfortable place to lie which would keep its head propped up allowing it to breathe easier…my left shoulder.

Thursday morning LibraryDiva took the kitten, a female now christened ‘Firefly’, to the vet. Turns out that ‘Firefly’ had something called ‘flea anemia.’ The vet didn’t hold out much hope but allowed LibraryDiva to bring ‘Firefly’ home and advised her to keep the kitten warm and give it water. It was there, wrapped in LibraryDiva’s queen sized electric blanket, that ‘Firefly’ quietly passed away. Warm, safe, and free from pain. Being the animal lover that she is LibraryDiva was very upset and asked me to ‘take care’ of things which I did. I had a rather surreal experience that evening which I won’t chronicle here because I know that despite my warning LibraryDiva is still reading this. However, if you would like to know what happened just ask me via email or phone call.

So here we are at Friday morning. I’m at work and since its time for mid-year inventory things are rather insane around here today. Most of the supervisors are out in the shops counting like mad and the office is relatively quiet for a Friday. Tonight I’m supposed to go out to dinner with LibraryDiva and some of her co-workers, tomorrow we have the monthly meeting of our Stitch & Bitch (yes, it’s a different one) and the birthday of BalletDiva, so it looks to be a busy weekend.

Till next time,
- HistoryDiva

2 comments:

LibraryDiva said...

*sniffle* You know me so well! Of course I kept reading! And you're right, I shouldn't have read it, b/c it made me cry.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about the kitten. : (

Um, but we get to hang out tonight?! : )

~BalletDiva