Thursday, March 13, 2008

Random Thoughts on a Thursday Afternoon

Ah, the bookstore. Whether it be a restful haven in the middle of the crowded mall, or a stately free standing brick and mortar Mecca, there is just something wonderful about a bookstore. A bookstore, not unlike a library, has a certain ambiance about it…an air of quiet meditation and peace. They are hushed places with overstuffed armchairs in the corners, muffled murmurs of conversation and the faintest hint of coffee from the cafĂ© scenting the climate controlled re-circulated air. In sort, for me at least, they are a little slice of heaven right here on earth. I wander happily through the neatly organized and alphabetized shelves quite pleasantly contented and feeling that all is right with the universe in that moment.

I went to the bookstore yesterday after work, seeking out the peaceful solace after what can only be described as a tiring day. I selected four new titles to add to my already crowded collection and made my way to the check out counter prepared to add yet another charge onto the credit card bill. (I have really got to cut back!) When what should happen to fall out of the side pocket of my purse but the mall gift certificate given to me at Christmas by the company CFO!! My four new books cost me a total of $1.46 and there is nothing that could have made my day any better than that.

No comments: