Thursday, January 17, 2008

Wrong Number



…no, this isn’t 867-5309 and no, you can’t speak to Jenny.

Due to the recent round of medical drama going on in my family it is safe to say that I have spent much of the previous forty-eight hours somewhat on edge. So when the house phone, an extension of which sits about eighteen inches from the head of my bed, rang this morning at 6:00am I was noticeably alarmed. Once I had peeled myself off the bedroom ceiling (metaphorically of course) I turned a bleary eye toward the caller I.D. just long enough to note that it was a wrong number and hit the mute button so that I could go back to sleep.

Roughly two minutes later the phone rang again. Noting that it was the same wrong number I snatched the handset from the cradle and hit the talk button. I wasn’t just awake now, I was awake and pissed.

Me: “YES??”
Caller: “Who is speaking?”
*what I wanted to say was “ITS SIX A. M. AND YOU HAVE A WRONG NUMBER WHERE DO YOU GET OFF ASKING WHO THIS IS? WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?”*
But what I said was:
Me: ‘Who are you calling?”
Caller: (something in a thick Indian accent)
Me: “YOU HAVE A WRONG NUMBER!” and I hung up
*Sigh*
What a way to start a Thursday, huh?

Sadly, this is only the most recent in what has been a long string of strange phone calls since I acquired a land line under my own name from the phone company. Clearly the number they assigned to me has changed hands many, many, many, MANY times. We get calls for an insurance agency, a woman named Maria, a woman named Gertrude, and a guy named Dave. We get calls from collection agencies, Bank of America (whom neither I nor my roommate bank with), lots of toll free numbers (usually wanting Maria), and one guy who had an entire conversation with dead air after our answering machine clicked on (he even left us his social security number…not the best idea really)! The annoying part is that we can’t seem to make the calls stop no matter how often we tell people that “This isn’t Maria’s number anymore.”

So I have dutifully registered my number on the National Do Not Call list and eagerly await the day that someone calls my home number looking for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not know you had a blog... very interesting...

Kristine the HistoryDiva said...

Yes Robert, I have a blog. And no Robert, I didn't tell you about it. Sorry.

... You know...I thought about calling this entry "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria" but didn't know if anyone else would consider it as funny as I do...