Monday, July 5, 2010

Day Tripper

Today the TiaDiva and I headed north, to the tourist trap/mountain town of Helen, Georgia. This highly stylized Bavarian village is over flowing with food, music, useless knick-knacks, and over priced bottles of water. HOWEVER, there are also lovely mountain views, a peaceful river to watch, and lots of blue sky and fresh air. We wandered, shopped, ate, chatted, and made the occasional snarky comment about passing strangers.

The fountain in the center of downtown.

The obligatory "go stand in front of it" picture.




Some random street scenes.

A street musician, who was actually pretty decent.
We happened to be walking past him as he ad-libbed a line about how no one was listening to him.
So I took his picture.
So there, guitar guy!

This sign totally made me giggle at first.
But then we decided to actually wander into this particular store.
And it was actually kinda awesome.
And the owner hand makes all the toys in the shop!

Yeah...one of them had to come home with me.

We wandered down to look at the river.

And spent a few minutes watching the tubers.

And giggled as they got stuck on the rocks.

Tubing is a family friendly activity...

...and that includes...

...the four legged members of the family.

I'm impressed that he stayed in the tube all the way down the river.

It was a wonderful, lazy, relaxing summer day.

**********
And then I decided to get all 'artsy.'

Sunshine on the river

The sunny side of the garden store

A window display

A funky old auto

And the TiaDiva going "for the love of God, GET IN THE CAR!"

5 comments:

Unknown said...

And of course...an old fashioned picture?! :)

Unknown said...

Been meaning to get up there recently. Love just walking around and looking at junk. Lol.

I sense a girls day trip maybe? :)

Anonymous said...

And to think I drove through there twice per day 12 times per week. It looks much different now I have a new perspective.

Karen said...

There's no way I could get a dog on a tube... :(

Lovely pictures - looks like a great day!

Pants said...

I HAVE BEEN THERE! I almost lost my life (and my hat) in that water!