Friday, April 9, 2010

iStitch - Gotta Start Somewhere

Once I started seriously stitching I decided to branch out beyond DMC. My first foray into the world of over-dyed floss was this fellow, a Bent Creek pattern called "Bad Hare Day."

Now, when using over-dyed or hand-dyed flosses, there is only one hard and fast rule you must remember and that rule is: YOU CAN'T WASH OVER-DYED FLOSS. Because these products are not colorfast the dye will leach out of the fibers and into your fabric.

Just one rule.

Not that hard, right?

Well, apparently, for one reason or another, that rule happened to slide right out of my dear mother's brain when it came time to prep this particular piece to be framed. That's right, boys and girls, she washed the piece and the colors from the over-dyed floss bled into the Aida, leaving a halo around the the stitched portions of the design.

At the time...I wasn't thrilled.

These days...the hare hangs in the hallway of DivaStan and makes me smile every time I see him.

1 comment:

Ralee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.