Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Problem with Planners

Life, as well demonstrated on this very blog, does not always go as planned. 

Late in 2011 I was introduced to an awesome company that produces personalized day planners, calendars, and a whole lot of other cute and colorful things to spend money on.  Now, being a sucker for cute and colorful things to spend money on (have you SEEN my purse collection??), I was too intrigued to stay away.  So I went…and I shopped. 

And I’ll be honest…I was 100% thrilled and in love with the final product. 

You see, I had some grand plans for 2012.  I was totally going to get my shit together and be super on top of things in my own life.  Time to take charge!  Embrace the power of now!!!

But there was a problem.

And that problem was that I completely forgot what happens EVERY SINGLE TIME I try to get it all together.

The Gods look down on me, one tiny human in the vast sea of infinity, and laugh. 

I got to use my lovely, personalized, ridiculously expensive planner for less than one month.

*Sigh*

The most irritating ‘down side’ to the this whole year has been how completely scattered I’ve become as a result of my medical issue and the associated medications.  I lost control of my life and my brain in January.  Seriously spinning in circles!  I couldn’t plan, couldn’t organize, couldn’t tidy, couldn’t think! 

Normal scatter-brained is one thing – like “hey, didn’t we need milk?” – but this has been something entirely different…more like “hey, where’d the house go?”  We are talking seriously lost. 

As the medication wears out of my system (sadly, still looking at this in terms of MONTHS to go…), I feel myself becoming mentally clearer each day.  I’m better able to remember things, I don’t have to make multiple copies of the same note or list.  I no longer pull wads of Post-Its out of my pockets at the end of the day.  I know from one minute to the next where I’m going and what I need to get done. 

These are things that are so small, but believe me when I tell you that they make a HUGE impact on your life when you can’t deal with them.

While my mental fog clears I am taking steps to help myself.  I went to the office supply store and purchased a student planner on the cheap.  I bought colored pens.  I went home, sat down at the kitchen table and dutifully entered appointments, meetings, Stitch Nights, and family events.  I demanded that my roommate provide me with her appointment info as well, because if I know where she is then by extension I should know where I am (yes, that’s circular logic but it makes sense to me so SHUT IT!!).  I know which day of the month to reapply the cat’s flea treatment (18th) because it’s right there, in black and white. 

And it helps.  It really does.  It’s a paper and ink security blanket.

So my focus has changed.  Because it turns out that I don’t need to be 100% on top of things.

I just need to know where the hell I am.

- HistoryDiva

2 comments:

Kassia525 said...

Colors help make planners more fun! Good luck keeping up with it, and I'm so glad you're doing better with your meds getting out of your system *hug*

Karen said...

If you like colors in your planner, you should see some of my spreadsheets - font AND fill! Yes, I usually need to make a key :)

Seriously, I hope things continue to get back on track, because wow, NOW you can SEE, too!