Friday, November 14, 2008

Crazy in Alabama

This weekend my mother, my aunt and my uncle are visiting the two members of our family who live in Alabama. The Georgia vs. Auburn game is tomorrow and since my great uncle, who happens to have ‘lifetime’ season tickets, has gotten a little too fragile to climb the stairs into the stadium he offered them to my aunt and uncle.

So they headed off to Alabama this morning.

Have I told you anything about my great uncle? No? Then allow me to share.

My great uncle is well know in the world wide scientific community for his work involving plant pathogens. He has worked for the governments of several countries, has multiple PHDs, knows more about the Camellia than any one person should … and is about three degrees off full on crazy.

He is deaf in one ear and blind in one eye. And the other half of those pair don’t work so well either.

He doesn’t believe is stop signs or red lights or turn signals. The last time the entire family got hauled over for a visit he insisted on giving us a tour of the town. As he drove I could hear my cousin counting quietly in the backseat. When asked what she was counting she replied ‘the stop signs he’s just totally ignoring.’ My aunt could be heard mumbling ‘just use the turn signal once…just once…just one time.’ We held hands and prayed for our safety.

The state took away his drivers license after his last car accident.

I could go on…but why?

No comments: